NAfME: National Association for Music Education
Section I: General Community Rules & Etiquette
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read all sections and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content that are best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed through the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate participation in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
Don't post commercial messages on any discussion list, resource library entry, or other area where others might see it. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. The posting of it may result in immediate termination and/or criminal prosecution. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
Even though the communities are closed groups, they are not private! That means anyone can copy conversations, take screenshots, or duplicate messages that appear on a community.
Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message.
All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
Discussion Group Etiquette
Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location.
State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list”. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
Section II: Legal Statement
The National Association for Music Education
We reserve the right to withdraw or amend this Site, and any service or material we provide on the Site, in our sole discretion without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason all or any part of the Site is unavailable at any time or for any period. From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of the Site, or the entire Site, to users, including registered users.
1. Access to Site from Outside the U.S and Consent to Transfers to U.S. of Personal Information for Other Countries.
The owner of the Website is based in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States. We make no claims that the Site or any of its content is accessible or appropriate outside of the United States. Access to the Site may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access the Site from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
The servers NAfME uses to collect and store information reside in the United States. Thus, by voluntarily providing information through the Site or other medium, you consent to the transfer of your information, including personal information to the United States.
2. Ownership of Copyrights, Trademarks and Other Intellectual Property. You acknowledge that NAfME owns the copyright and all other intellectual property rights to this Site and all content, materials and information provided on this Site unless otherwise expressly indicated. All content on this Site is protected by U.S. and international copyright, trademark and other laws. All rights are reserved by NAfME, and you agree not to copy, reproduce, download, disseminate, publish, or transfer content in any form or by any means, except with our prior written permission, or as permitted by us in a separate written agreement. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
NAfME’s name and logo are service marks of NAfME. References on our Site to any specific organization or its products and services by name or otherwise do not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by NAfME and you may choose to use products or services other than those referenced by NAfME.
3. Rules for all Users. When accessing or using this Site or posting comments to our blog, discussion boards, or other online forums you agree to the following rules/restrictions and acknowledge that a violation of any of them constitutes grounds for immediate termination of your access to our blog discussion boards, or other online forums without further notice, in our sole discretion:
a. You will not engage in fraudulent activity of any kind, including by forging information, impersonating other people, contributing information which you know to be false, misleading, inaccurate or incomplete, or misrepresenting your affiliation with any person or entity.
b. You will not use the Site in any manner that may be considered objectionable, such as by using the Site to upload, post, display, or otherwise transmit any content that is false, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, libelous, criminal or invasive of another’s privacy.
c. You will not violate or attempt to violate the security of the Site, use any device, software or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site, or take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure. Violations of this sort will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of state and federal laws.
d. You will not launch any automated system, including without limitation, “robots,” “spiders,” “offline readers,” or other mechanisms, that access the Site in a manner that sends more request messages to our servers in a given period of time than can reasonably be produced by an individual in the same period using a conventional on-line web browser.
e. You will comply with all applicable laws, statutes, ordinances and regulations regarding your use of the Site and will not use the Site for unlawful purposes.
f. You will not post, upload, email, link to, or otherwise transmit any content that contains any viruses, cancel bots, Trojan horses, harmful code, or other computer software or program designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of the Site or impair others’ ability to enjoy the Site, or the proper functioning of any software or hardware or equipment or materials used in connection with the Site.
g. You will not infringe, misappropriate, or otherwise violate any existing local, national or international copyright, trademark, service mark, trade name, patent, right of publicity or privacy, or other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any person or entity whatsoever.
h. You will not give your password to anyone, use the Site as the agent of a third party, or allow any third party to use your account. If any security breach or unauthorized use of your account occurs, you will notify NAfME immediately in writing or via email. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your username and password and are responsible for any unauthorized use.
i. You will use the Site solely for your personal, noncommercial use.
NAfME is not obligated to review material before it is posted on the Site, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. Accordingly, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications or content provided by any user or third party. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this section.
6. No Effect on Agreements. The information provided on the Site is for general informational purposes only, and nothing on our Site shall be construed to add or modify terms to any existing or future agreements with NAfME.
7. Other Websites. In addition, solely as a courtesy to you, we may provide links to other websites and resources at certain places on our Site; we do not endorse, approve, certify or control websites that are not programs of NAfME. Because we do not have any control over such sites, you acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the content of the sites or the availability, accuracy, completeness, efficacy, or timeliness of information contained on those sites. Use of those sites or any information obtained from those sites is voluntary, and reliance on it should only be undertaken after an independent review of its accuracy, completeness, efficacy and timeliness.
8. Disclaimer of Warranty. While we make every effort to present accurate and reliable information on our Site, we do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of such information. In addition, we have no duty to update the information contained on our Site, and we are not liable to you for outdated or incorrect information contained herein. Moreover, we reserve the right at any time to modify, suspend or discontinue the Site, or any part thereof, with or without notice, and we are not liable to you or any third party for any modification, suspension or interruption in services. All products and services on our Site are subject to availability. THIS SITE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS, AND NO GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY EXPRESS WARRANTIES OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE OR PURPOSE, PERFORMANCE, INFORMATIONAL CONTENT, ACCURACY, OR SYSTEM INTEGRATION, ARE MADE WITH RESPECT TO THIS SITE. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE SITE WILL ALWAYS BE SECURE OR ERROR FREE OR THAT THE SITE WILL ALWAYS FUNCTION WITHOUT DISRUPTIONS, DELAYS, OR IMPERFECTIONS.
You understand that we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant that files available for downloading from the internet or the Website will be free of viruses or other destructive code. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for anti-virus protection and accuracy of data input and output, and for maintaining a means external to our site for any reconstruction of any lost data. WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY A DISTRIBUTED DENIAL-OF-SERVICE ATTACK, VIRUSES OR OTHER TECHNOLOGICALLY HARMFUL MATERIAL THAT MAY INFECT YOUR COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, DATA OR OTHER PROPRIETARY MATERIAL DUE TO YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR TO YOUR DOWNLOADING OF ANY MATERIAL POSTED ON IT, OR ON ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO IT.
This Site may include content provided by third parties, including materials provided by other users, bloggers and third-party licensors, syndicators, aggregators and/or reporting services. All statements and/or opinions expressed in these materials, and all articles and responses to questions and other content, other than the content provided by NAfME, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity providing those materials. These materials do not necessarily reflect the opinion of NAfME. We are not responsible, or liable to you or any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties.
9. Limitation of Liability. IN NO EVENT SHALL NAfME BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DIRECT, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, OR DAMAGES FOR LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF REVENUE OR LOSS OF USE, ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THIS SITE, EVEN IF NAfME HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
11. Term & Termination. These Terms are effective upon your accessing the Site and shall continue in full force until terminated. In its sole discretion and without notice, and at any time and for any reason, NAfME reserves the right to: (a) cancel your user account; (b) terminate or suspend your access to any restricted portion of the Site; and/or (c) remove or disable your access to any restricted portion of the Site. Upon termination or suspension, your username and password will be immediately deactivated, and you will no longer have access to the relevant portions of the Site.
12. Governing Law/Jurisdiction/Waiver of Jury Trial/Arbitration. Any dispute with respect to our Site shall be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, excluding its conflicts of laws rules. Except as set forth below with respect to arbitration, all visitors to our Site submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and/or federal courts of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Either party may enforce a judgment rendered by such court in any court of competent jurisdiction, and NAfME may seek injunctive or other equitable relief in any jurisdiction in order to protect its intellectual property rights. ALL PARTIES HEREBY WAIVE THEIR RIGHT TO TRIAL BY JURY WITH RESPECT TO ANY DISPUTE ARISING FROM THE USE OF THE SITE.
14. Making Donations to NAfME. We can only accept donations from individuals who can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. Without limiting the foregoing, minors under the age of 18 cannot make donations without the prior written consent of a parent or legal guardian. By visiting this Site and/or making any donations through this Site, you represent to us that you can form legally binding contracts under applicable law, and that any and all data you have provided, or will provide, to us via this Site, such as your name, address and billing information, is complete and accurate.
The National Association for Music Education
Consent to transfer personal information to the United States
What information does the Site collect and how is the information used?
We use your personal information for our internal business operations, such as to process your donation, provide our programs and services, and/or to respond to your request for information. We may also use the information to contact you if there is a problem with your donation, for feedback on our services and/or to contact you for marketing purposes. For example, you may receive periodic e-mails, direct mailings or telephone calls from us with information on our upcoming events. If you do not wish to receive such e-mails, mailings or calls, please let us know by sending an e-mail to the address below or click “unsubscribe” as instructed in any email from us.
NAfME protects the confidentiality of its donors, and we never sell information about our donors. We honor all requests by donors who wish to remain anonymous. Unless a donor specifically requests that he or she remain anonymous, donors’ names may be identified in our publications.
We are the sole owner of any and all information collected through the use of the Site.
Do we collect information from children under age 13?
Our website is intended for a general audience and is not directed to children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. Please contact us at email@example.com if you suspect that we have collected information from children under the age of 13. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of a child under 13 without verifiable parental consent, we will take steps to delete the information as quickly as possible.
We may also use web beacons, clear gif technology, action tags or other technologies to collect aggregate Site visitation data by tracking how users navigate to and through the Site. We may also use this technology to track the delivery of HTML email messages. Web beacons cannot be declined when delivered using a regular web page, but they can be refused when delivered by email. If you do not wish to receive web beacons by email, you will need to disable HTML images or select text only for emails received with your email software.
We may also track activity on our Site using log files stored on our servers, and collect information, including IP addresses, browser types and versions, geographic information, pages viewed and devices used to interact with the Site. We may use this information to personalize your experience and to administer our Site.
Some web browsers may transmit “do not track” signals to the websites with which the browser communicates. There is no standard that governs what, if anything, websites should do when they receive these signals. We do not currently take action in response to these signals. We may revise this policy if and when a standard for responding to these signals is established.
We may monitor email correspondence and telephone calls to track reported problems and to ensure quality assurance. Similarly, we monitor web traffic in the aggregate for the purposes of evaluating marketing campaigns and content improvement.
We may use a web analytics service, such as Google Analytics, to record and analyze your activity on this Site. The Site or any such service may track your browsing across web sites that use the same service and may collect demographic data, including the type of computer or operating system, location of user (e.g., city, state, country) and gender.
To whom do we disclose information?
We will divulge personal information to courts, law enforcement and other governmental agencies and third parties when required to do so or when we in good faith believe it is necessary in order to comply with legal obligations
In the event that this Site or substantially all of our assets are acquired, merged or reorganized, user information may be transferred to another party.
NAfME shares or rents lists containing the names, job title, institution, and mailing addresses provided by visitors to the Site and provided through other means to a third party which may use the lists for marketing purposes. We do not share email addresses with third parties. You may request that NAfME not provide your mailing information to third parties for their marketing purposes by sending a written request to the mailing address or the email address listed below.
What are the privacy policies of linked sites and other third parties?
Who may see the information I post to various areas of the NAfME site?
You also may provide information to be published or displayed on NAfME’s blog, discussion boards, online forums, online communities, or other public areas of the website, or transmitted to other uses of the website or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). You provide User Contributions and transmit them to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users of the website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
How can you access or correct your information?
You may view, correct or update the personal information we have about you by sending a request to the mailing address or the e-mail address listed below. Individuals with a NAfME account may correct or update the personal information within the NAfME system by logging into their account. If you do not have an NAfME account, and would like to correct or update your personal information, please contact us at the mail, email or telephone contact information below.
How may this privacy statement be amended?
What security measures does the Site employ?
The security of your personal information is important to us. We employ various security measures to protect against the loss of information that the Site collects. However, you should keep in mind that this Site is run on software, hardware and networks, any component of which may, from time to time, require maintenance or experience problems or breaches of security. No method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% percent secure and we cannot guarantee it’s absolute security. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your username and password and are responsible for any unauthorized use.
Your California Privacy Rights:
How can you contact us?
The National Association for Music Education
1806 Robert Fulton Drive
Reston, VA 20191
2077575 v. 5