Blogs

Mark_Hudson_Evergreen

Be the first person to recommend this.
I believe that a successful educational experience will include the following elements: · A deep respect for every individual in the experience; not only from me as the guide, but from each student for the others. · A significant student-centered focus, as students take responsibility for their own learning, given the means and freedom to pursue personal learning goals. · The teacher as facilitator and guide, not the guardian of sacred information to be dispensed as seen fit. · A significant focus on the creative process: thinking, research, experimentation, discourse, more thinking, identifying a desired product, and so forth. · Most importantly, ...
1 comment
The growth of any music program begins at the elementary level. The percussion section is often overlooked. Having an All-County Percussion Ensemble would be a good starting point in promoting this section. All-State would be the next logical step. Beginning at the elementay level is where it all begins. Harry Marvin Jr
0 comments
[Excerpts from the following article were first published as "Retirement, Now What" by Paul K. Fox in the Fall 2013 issue of PMEA News.] A career in school music teaching for many of us is a “calling,” which is a nice way of describing our dedication to the intense 24/7 schedules of classes, rehearsals, after-school activities, meetings, preps, arrangements, and performances. After embracing 35 years of directing/managing orchestras, choirs, string and band camps, musicals, and plays, and creating music, lessons, programs, enrichment media, curriculum, workshops, letters of recommendations, and the like, I finally “hung up my boots” in June, now welcoming ...
0 comments
1 person recommends this.
“It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” – Albert Einstein This article was originally posted at https://paulkfoxusc.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/a-blueprint-for-success-preparing-for-the-job-interview/ . New or Prospective Music Teachers – Reviewing the Situation By now, I hope you have had the opportunity to revisit and reflect on my past blogs about marketing professionalism, pre-interview preparation, tips and techniques on interviewing, development of storytelling skills, and the criteria for selection of the “ideal” school teacher candidate. Please peruse these articles at https://paulkfoxusc.wordpress.com/category/marketing-professionalism/ ...
0 comments
2 people recommend this.
"Flipping the Classroom" - Every week my students perform music they select for their classmates during 'Showcase Friday'. It is a throwback to the show-and-tell concept from elementary school. The music can be from our method books, the concert repertoire, private lesson material, or pieces they find on their own at the music store or internet. Students have sung or performed on their band instruments, piano, ocarina, and even a nose flute. They perform solo or with their classmates. This year I started to post some of the best on my YouTube channel. 'Showcase Fridays' incorporate student choice, collaboration, communication with parents, and student engagement. ...
2 comments